A Tenth of Adults At Risk of Diabetes by 2035

Posted by JOrchard on 1 November, 2016

 

Health experts are predicting that one in ten adults in the UK could be at risk of developing diabetes by 2035 unless things start to change. 

Public Health England forecasts the number of people with the disease could top five million if obesity rates continue to rise. Around 90% of those who are considered obese suffer from type 2 diabetes. 

A separate analysis says the cost of treating the UK’s “diabetes epidemic” could soar to 17% of the NHS budget. Experts are warning that treating diabetes, in particular, type 2 diabetes, could bankrupt the NHS.

Public Health England has published a new forecast for the number of people who’ll develop diabetes in the coming years. Their analysis includes both type 1 and 2 diabetes. Type one is an auto-immune disease and accounts for about 10% of cases in the UK. The remaining 90% is made up of those with type 2 diabetes, which can be affected by where you come from and your family history, but in most cases, it is associated with being overweight. 

in 2015, around 3.8 million people were living with diabetes in England alone. That figure could potentially rise to 4.9 million by 2035 if the obesity rate continues at the current rate. 

Chris Askew, chief executive of Diabetes UK, says there are clear implications of what he calls a “diabetes epidemic”.

He went on to say: "As things stand we are certainly looking at a crisis in diabetes which threatens to bankrupt the NHS if we continue with these current trends.

"I believe we're facing a crisis and we really need concerted action right across society for us to fund more research, provide best possible care and crucially prevent so many cases of type 2 in the future."

 

Dermatonics - Heel Balm

Thank you for reading the latest news from Dermatonics. For more information on our heel balm, contact us today. 

News Archive

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work.